Thursday, May 21, 2009

This illness is always an adventure

So this week has been an adventure.  Tuesday was a marathon medical day.  It actually started with my whole family moving me out of the house, which didn't take very long at all.  Since we had time, mom and I went to my piercer (Progress Body Piercings on Hillsborough, who are fantastic) and got the plastic fillers for my piercings for the mri.
I went by my allergy doctor and got my xolair injections, which was uneventful, even with them only having one arm to work with.
Next was the nerve conduction study.  Oh, the ncs.  We are not friends.  It hurt.  I was shaking when I came out from it because the pain was so intense.  Unfortunately, that hasn't gone away yet, which is a little scary.  To combat the pain and trauma, mom and I went to Starbucks, which our family knows has mystical healing powers.  I managed to recover enough to go to my mri, which went well (with the help of some valium for my claustrophobia).  The pain was still there, but I held still for it.  My nurse for the mri was fabulous and very sweet.  The receptionist hit it off with my mom and I since she has a thing for tattoos and she has been pierced by my piercer.
On the way home, the pain and stress of the day must have started getting to me.  I know it was mentally, but physically I started having violent tremors and problems with my speech when we were driving through Burlington.  We got home and after talking to my doctors, rushed to the hospital.  I finally say an ER doctor around 11 and he gave me 2 IV injections of Ativan, which stopped the tremors.  I slept until 4 the next day and was still having some speech problems but no tremors.
Today my speech is much better, I just have to think a little harder to speak.  I'm still in immense amounts of pain, but it is amazing what your body will get used to.  My NCS and mri were normal.  My PCP thinks we may have figured out an idea in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.  I see him and the pain clinic tomorrow, so hopefully we will have a plan.
In other news, I am going to start training Dixie as a true assistance dog.  I've been emailing my trainer about it and I think Dixie will be fantastic.  I truly adore my pup and she already knows me so well.  She is also super smart and very easy to train.
I've also decided I'm going to get a tattoo at the end of this to celebrate making it through everything.  I'm not sure what it will be yet.